Crystals for Healing: Black tourmaline – Strongest for Protection and Grounding
We are made up of a body, mind/emotions and spiritual aspects (also referrred to as higher self or soul) through which energy flows. In order for energy to be balanced and healthfully flow in all three areas, we need to remove any blockages, increase energy where needed and vibrate at a frequency aligned with the optimal health of our body, mind and spirit. This is where crystals come into play – with the unique vibrational energies within each crystal they can adjust energy flow to help optimize your overall well-being.
Black Tourmaline (also known as Schorl) is best known as a protective and grounding semi-precious mineral, similar to granite, which repels and blocks negative energies and psychic attack. It also aids in the removal of negative energies within a person or a space. Additionally, Black Tourmaline will cleanse, purify, and transform dense energy into a lighter vibration.
Origin: Australia, Brazil, Sri Lanka, United States
Shapes: Natural, in quartz, tumbled/polished, cut
Energy:Absorbs negative energy. One of the most common meditation crystals. It is exceptionally grounding to the Earth’s energies, freeing one to explore the spiritual world without harm or danger, and provides high levels of purification for the auric field and the etheric body.
Chakra:Root – Located at the base of the spine. It’s the center of family and community identity and relates to safety and security issues, as well as issues of the legs and feet.
Placement: Pants pocket, near root chakra, next to the bed, between you and a source of negativity
Helps with: Psychic protection, protection against negativity, grounding, stress release, promotes self-confidence, cleansing negative emotions.
Works with: Clear quartz to work in harmony to create balanced (masculine and feminine) and free flowing energies throughout your system.
The Health Benefits of Black Tourmaline
- stimulates the reflex points associated with the lower back, legs, ankles and feet, and may be used to realign the spinal column.
- provides pain relief and assists with strained or torn muscles, numbness, arthritis, and scar tissue.
- defends against debilitating disease and strengthens the immune system, heart, and adrenal glands.
- beneficial in treating the bowels, constipation, IBS, and diseases of the colon, as well as ridding the body of heavy metal toxins and environmental pollutants.
- marvelous tool for balancing the right/left hemispheres of the brain and bringing mental processes into alignment with the chakras and auric body.
- diminishes fear and may be useful in treating paranoia, and to overcome dyslexia by improving eye/hand coordination and the assimilation and translation of coded information.
- cleanses the emotional body of negative thoughts, anxieties, anger or feelings of unworthiness.
- helps in overcoming substance abuse and releases any suicidal thoughts or self-harming tendencies.
- beneficial in treating obsessive or compulsive behaviors, and in relinquishing chronic worry.
- increases physical vitality, replacing tension and stress with the ability to view the world objectively with clear, rational thought and neutrality.
- inspires a positive attitude, no matter the circumstances, and stimulates altruism and practical creativity.
References: Crystals for Beginners: The Guide to Get Started with the Healing Power of Crystalsby Karen Frazier (2017); https://www.crystalvaults.com/crystal-encyclopedia/black-tourmaline