Animal Business & Site Recommendations
(Services links with asterisks (*) are those I know and have personally used & recommend.)
- *ZenCat Home Health Care for Cats
Do you hate dragging your pet to the vet? Are you looking for a compassionate vet that will give you the amount of time with a doctor that you need? Are you looking for alternative health options for your pet? Dr. Phoenix offers quality, compassionate veterinary care in the comfort of your home. We used her here to neuter our little boy and she was wonderful. Highly recommend. Please note she works with CATS ONLY.
- *ZenCat Home Health Care for Cats
- *Home Sweet Home Veterinary Housecalls*
Dawn Ziegler, DVM
Dawn has been wonderful. I don’t know if she’s taking new clients anymore, and I believe she stays in the San Diego area rather than coming to North County, but if you live in her area, it’s worth a call to see if she’s taking new clients.
- *Paws into Grace
I’ve personally used Paws into Grace and recommend them highly. San Diego County, Murrieta and Temecula.
- Lap of Love
I’ve not personally used Lap of Love, but I have clients who have used them and recommend them.
- In-Home Pet Directory
“Our In-home Pet Euthanasia Directory connects families to local providers who specialize in pet end-of-life care needs. Services offered will vary by provider, but can include hospice, palliative care, pain management, acupuncture & alternative medicine and euthanasia.”
- Dr. Kathy Boehme, The Drake Center, Encinitas, CA
I highly recommend Kathy. I cannot recommend every other vet at the center, some I’ve liked, some I have not, but Kathy is the best. She also believe in animal communication and has a natural bent so she won’t roll her eyes when you tell her you’re feeing your fur-kid raw, for example. She really care.
Local Animal Businesses
- *Dexter’s Deli: North County’s premier holistic pet store
- Britta’s Animal Training
Britta Wilson: Positive training for your animal.
- The Educated Pet: Carol Harris, Positive Reinforcement Training for Dogs
Rescue Organization Links
- *The Rescue House: Local San Diego Rescue Organization for Cats
- Defenders of Wildlife: Dedicated to protection of all native wild animals & plants
- Stanford Cat Network
- Hope for Paws: LA based rescue
- AVMA Animal Food Recall Information
I yell this only to catch your attention to how important this link is. It’s a page that is consistently updated with the latest pet food recalls. Check it often. You can never be too safe.
- Toxic & Non-Toxic Plants for Animals
ASPCA’s list of toxic and non-toxic plants for animals. This list seems to be the most extensive, reliable and easiest to navigate list I’ve found. I like the fact that you can choose to look at only toxic or non-toxic for individual animals (cats, dogs & horses.) And even though it appears to be a work in progress, this is the only list I’ve found that has photos of the plants, which really helps, especially when you are looking to bring plants into the house or yard.
- Tanya’s Feline CRF Information Centre
“This site was originally created primarily to help people in the UK, but it has always attracted people from all over the world, perhaps because the site is quite simple in design yet the most comprehensive site available.”
- Danger of Lilies
Youtube video on the dangers of lilies to your cats.
- SNAP Spay and Neuter
Low-Cost Spay and Neuter in San Diego
- Catster: Articles on breeds, health care, training, etc., as well as a forum to talk about your fur-babies
- The Truth about Aggression and Dominance in Dogs: UC Davis
- Little Big Cat
The Crime of Declawing
- Humane Society
- The Paw Project: Wonderful organization dedicated to making declawing illegal
- Reasons why NOT to declaw your pets
Just to let you know that we have both noticed a BIG difference in Blaithin over the last week and a half or so. She is so much calmer and rarely barks hysterically now. When she does get upset, it doesn’t last for long. Thanks for all your help.
– Nancy, Dublin, Ireland –